Department of Physical Science
The department of Physical science was established in 2005-2006 In the course of several years the Department could attract a wide spectrum of talented faculty. Our faculty has made significant contributions to novel interdisciplinary areas interfacing physics, chemistry and mathematics, The department has well-developed computing facilities and well-equipped laboratory. Our faculty is committed to excellence in teaching. The low student - to - faculty ratio in the Physical Sciences Department means students and faculty get to know each other, and students have easy access to faculty for discussions, help and with advice on their current course work or future plans. Many of our alumni are now teaching in chemistry and physics subjects at schools and colleges.
The Department of Physical Sciences at Dr. N.G.P .College of Education
- A rigorous basic education in teaching, learning and evaluation in theory and practice at various levels appropriate for students to prepare to become professionals in their selected teaching fields.
- An education appropriate for those students preparing to teach science in the secondary schools
- Coursework appropriate for students to understand physical science as part of their General Education curriculum
- Theory and practice in the physical science for those students preparing for models and improvised apparatus.
- Well equipped laboratory
- Computer systems with LCD Projector
- Department Library
Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Resource Centre - Laboratory
The laboratory helps in the development of objective reasoning and thinking, skills of experimentation, observation, problem solving and scientific attitudes among the students.
The aspiration of children to gain knowledge in science is growing high. Developing pupils with a scientific attitude is an art. These demands for a skilled science teacher, Science laboratory in colleges of education play a major role in developing such skilled science teachers.
- Providing safety measures
- Art of handling equipment's
- Updating of current trends in science
Objectives of Resource Centre activities
Resource Centre activities must be deigned to engage students' minds, so that students may acquire skill and confidence in their:
- Measurement of physical quantities with appropriate accuracy.
- Recognition of factors that could affect the reliability of their measurements.
- Manipulation of materials, apparatus, tools and measuring instruments
- Clear description of their observations and measurements
- Illustration of abstract scientific understandings.
- Development of scientific concepts and principles.
- Development of scientific skills.
- To Prepare the instructional materials for teaching and learning physical science
- To prepare the teaching aids for teaching and learning physical science
- To undertake the projects reflecting the trends in physical Science education
- To practice various methods of teaching such as project method and lecture cum demonstration method etc.,
The Dr. N.G.P. College of Education science Club was inaugurated in 2011. The purpose of the club is to increase awareness of the relevance of science in modern society and to facilitate student success in the discipline of science and related disciplines where an understanding of science is essential. The club also encourages and provide training in scientific method of problem solving, skills like manipulative, communicative, etc. also provides an opportunity for students with similar interests and career goals to meet and socialize
- Arranging talks and lectures of the distinguished speakers, subject experts and outside guests.
- Arranging debates, group discussions, seminars and workshops, paper reading and quiz contests.
- Arranging excursions and short trips for members to places of scientific interests.
- Decorating the walls of the classrooms and laboratory with scientific pictures and charts preferably by students themselves.
- Improvising and preparing handmade apparatus, charts and models.
- Celebrating science days.
- Holding science fairs and exhibitions.
- World Environment Day was celebrated on 5th June 2012 . Mr.N.Manoharan, Asst. Prof of Physical Science delivered a lecture on Chipko Movement and Global Warming.
- 2010-2011 – T. Pradeep Won TNTEU Zonal Sports Meet IIIrd prize
- 2007-2008 – S.Deepalakshmi Awarded University Xth Rank Holder
- 2006-2007 – Smitha K.Radhakrishnan Awarded University VIIth Rank Holder
- 2006-2007 – K.Manimekalai Awarded University Vth Rank Holder
- 2006-2007 – C.Anitha Awarded University IVth Rank Holder
- 2005-2006 – Mrs.S. Venkatalakshmi Awarded University 1st Rank Holder Gold Medalist